Skip to Content

Standing Appeal

standing appeal can be filed when you have a change in academic standing (ie. Required To Withdraw or Permanent Program Withdrawn). Similar to a grade appeal, standing appeals must be filed on at least one appeal ground. Students must show “substantive reasons why their current standing is NOT appropriate.”

Please see the Appeals Package for more detailed information.


There are 3 grounds that you can base your appeal on:


A student who is RTW may not enroll in any Ryerson credit course for a period of 12 months. In addition, any course taken at another institution during this period of suspension will NOT be counted towards graduation requirements for your Ryerson degree program.  A student on RTW can request to participate in a defined Student Success Program (SSP), like Fresh Start (link and application form below), under a participation contract which will guarantee reinstatement into their program.

A student who is PPW has been withdrawn from their program and may not apply for reinstatement into that same program, but can apply to a different program the following academic year (Senate Policy 46, section 2.4.4.). A student is PPW from their program if their academic performance in the current term resulted in a “Required to Withdraw” (RTW) standing for a second time; failed a course required by their program for a third time; failed to meet the terms of a Probationary Contract following a return after an RTW standing; or was denied reinstatement to their program for a second time.


Before you consider submitting an appeal, you should attempt to informally resolve the issue with your instructor. If you are unable to resolve the situation with your instructor, or are unable to reach them, contact the Chair of the Department or Chang School Program Director of the course’s home department. Informal resolutions can sometimes provide better resolutions that can avoid a formal appeal altogether.  If this step does not work and you decide to go ahead with an appeal, it can positively influence your case later in the process because it demonstrates that you were proactive and took steps to resolve the issue informally. *Remember to follow up meetings, discussions and outcomes via email. Keep a paper trail and ensure that you are following up with your instructor.

If you are unable to resolve your issue informally, you may want to submit an official appeal

Department/School Level
This is the first level of appeal. For a standing appeal, your home program’s Chair or Director will be the decision maker. Important: Standing Appeals must be submitted to your home academic department, this is the department that you have identified as your major/certificate department.

Faculty Level
This is the second level of appeal. If your appeal is denied at the Department/School Level, you can appeal at this level. Your appeal goes to the Faculty division responsible for the subject area. At this level, you are appealing on the same grounds you did for the original appeal, in addition to appealing the way the decision was made at the School/Department level.

Senate Level
This is the third level of appeal. If your appeal is denied at the Faculty Level, you can appeal to the Senate Appeal Committee. Be aware that this level of appeal is not guaranteed as there is risk the Secretary of Senate could dismiss your appeal. . The Secretary of Senate will review the appeal to determine if it is complete, within the deadline, if the student indicated the error in the previous Faculty decision, and the threshold for having valid grounds of appeal are met.


All forms for this type of appeal are found on the Senate’s website.


This service is free to all CESAR members (any student taking a CE course and/or enrolled in a part-time degree program).

For more information contact:
Student Rights Coordinator
416-979-5000 x557056