Toronto Metropolitan University International College (TUIC)
Navitas is a private corporation that has entered into a partnership with Toronto Metropolitan University to provide a transition year for international students. They partnered to create a new organization called the Toronto Metropolitan University International College.
Toronto Metropolitan University and Navitas: The Erosion of Public Post-Secondary Education and Exploitation of International Students
Our recommendations for Toronto Metropolitan University, TUIC and Navitas International
- Develop a long term plan to prioritize access to education for all learners by ending differential tuition fees for international students. This includes lobbying for fully funded post-secondary education and cancelling the Navitas Agreement.
- Increase investment in Toronto Metropolitan University-housed international recruitment programs.
- Address misleading marketing materials from Navitas.
- Develop a transition flowchart for students to access student services, transfer records.
- Include student and faculty representation on all TUIC committees. Include Navitas students in TMSU or the establishment of TUIC students’ union.
- Negotiate an agreement for service delivery with OPSEU 596 and CUPE 3904 and prioritize pre- existing services at the university.
- Invest in educators and commit to the creation of good jobs, rather than increased reliance on sessional and precarious workers.
- Use Toronto Metropolitan University Senate policies and track Disciplinary Notes on Toronto Metropolitan University academic records.
CESAR Navitas Report
Take a look at our report on Navitas International and Toronto Metropolitan University International College with recommendations to advocate for fairness for international students and campus workers.